By the late medieval and early post medieval period, most, if not all, of the buildings at Hall Orchard, rather than being thatched, may have been covered in relatively expensive stone roofing tiles, which were later replaced by clay peg tiles, having glazed and decorated finials and ridge tiles.Many fragments were very small, suggesting demolition of the house with any complete tiles perhaps removed for re-use elsewhere.In fact, some early maps even depict "Fulbourn Magna" and "Fulbourn Parva".However a research project conducted by the Fulbourn Village History Society came to the conclusion that there was only ever one Fulbourn.They also give a flavour of an organisation that is at once amiable and intellectually stimulating.The Fulbourn Village History Society is always happy to welcome new members.(The full report of the project entitled "In Search of Fulbourn" is available free to members of the FVHS, or the PDF can be purchased separately.)The project also investigated another fascinating landmark in Fulbourn; a medieval moated site.The site at Hall Orchard, known as Dunmowes survives as an earthwork and has a water filled moat when suitable conditions exist.
It therefore includes texts and studies about the literary, historical, cultural, and religious milieu of Lollardy as well as texts specifically about the heresy itself. [Birgitta was canonized in 1391 when the Lollard movement was heating up, but the paper mostly concerns the defenses of Birgitta by Mathias of Linköping and Alfonso of Jaén.] Emblom, Margaret. [This study is especially interesting for the detailed descriptions it gives of women and the reading communities they belonged to. “Lollardy and Late Medieval History.” Bose and Hornbeck 121-134. “Žižka’s Drum: The Political Uses of Popular Religion.” . With reference to select sermons, the Lanterne of Liȝt, and the trial of John Falks, the essay explores the potential for “new formalism” to complement and enrich the historical study of Lollardy.] Gellrich, Jesse. Analyzing the interrogations of Margery Kempe, Anne Askew, Marian Protestant women, Margaret Clitherow, and Quakers Katherine Evans and Sarah Cheevers, the book examines the complex dynamics of women’s writing, preaching, and authorship under separate regimes of religious persecution and censorship.”] —. [According to the abstract, this study “tells the story of early modern women’s preaching: how it was suppressed, and the unexpected places where it broke out. [“A governing argument of this chapter will be that the spheres of academic speculation and extra-mural religiosity across a range of social classes affected each other in ways that disable” a traditional polarity between what have been term an academic “Wycliffism” and a popular “lollardy” outside of the university. “Wycliffite ‘Affiliations’: Some Intellectual-Historical Perspectives.” Bose and Hornbeck 13-32. In the 14th century, Fulboun had numerous 'Alewives', with a reputation for keeping late hours. One of them, The Six Bells, still thrives today and is housed in a thatched timber framed building dating from the 16th century.(See for the colourful account of the 'Ding-dong Battle' that was the occasion for the pub to change its name from the Plough and Crown.) By 1910 there were 10 or 11 licensed premises, roughly one for every 120 inhabitants!A large drainage ditch at the southwest corner and one at the northeast corner meet the moat ditch.These were probably inlet and outlet channels supplying the moat with continuous running water.Further afield is the Fulbourn Fen Nature Reserve, where you can see the above mentioned medieval moated site.