bordered on the east by the Great Dividing Range and 100 miles (160 km) west of the settlement of Moreton Bay.
Thirteen years later when George and Patrick Leslie established Toolburra Station 56 miles (90 km) south-west of Toowoomba the first settlers arrived on the Downs and established a township of bark-slab shops called The Springs which was soon renamed Drayton.
Examples of architecture drawing from the city's wealthy beginnings include Toowoomba City Hall which was Queensland's first purpose-built town hall, the National Trust Royal Bull's Head Inn and many examples in the heritage-listed Russell Street.
Immediately to the east of the CBD is the Caledonian Estate, an area of turn-of-the-20th-century housing, ranging from humble workers cottages to large stately homes, in the classic wooden Queenslander style.
Land selling at £4 per acre (£10 per hectare) in 1850 was by then £150 per acre (£370 per hectare).
Governor Bowen granted the wish of locals and a new municipality was proclaimed on 24 November 1860.
Jacaranda, camphor laurel and plane trees line many of the city streets.It is the 16th-largest city in Australia and the sixth-largest in Queensland after Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Townsville and Cairns.Toowoomba is the second most populous inland city in the country after the national capital of Canberra.However, the Empire was rebuilt and reopened in November 1933.The architectural styling of the new Empire Theatre was art deco, in keeping with the trend of the 1930s.Toowoomba is on the crest of the Great Dividing Range, around 700 metres (2,300 ft) above sea level.