In 1758 the Lancashire-born antiquary, John Lodge (†1774), reported to parliament that the rolls office in Dublin castle was ‘in a very ruinous state, being supported by props from top to Bottom’.His protest continues: ‘The Roof is shored up from end to end, and in danger of falling in by every high wind.For the period before the accession of Edward II in 1307, there survived only three membranes from the patent roll of 31 Edward II (= years for which no chancery roll had survived to modern times.Stark as these figures are, they only begin to hint at the true scale of the losses.What is not in dispute is that the blast destroyed most of the records of English government in Ireland stretching back to the thirteenth century.The Irish Times on 3 July 1922 has this sorry report: [T]hose precious records, which would have been so useful to the future historian, have been devoured by the flames or scattered in fragments by the four winds of heaven.
In 1812 two sub-commissioners, William Nash and James (†1853), the famed genealogist and later Ulster king of arms.
Of the rolls in At length the transfers were authorized and an inventory of all the chancery rolls was prepared and published in 1819.
This inventory unveils the alarming state of the chancery rolls by the early nineteenth century.
He had been appointed as a sub-commissioner in 1810, but resigned in 1812, after which his dealings with the secretary of the record commission, William Charles proved recalcitrant. The commissioners used their annual reports as a means of commanding the moral high ground.
In March 1813 they presented their case in strenuous terms.
On 22 November 1430 the chief governor and council of Ireland agreed that .