The town was occupied by Union troops for much of the American Civil War, and steady growth came after the war's end, when it became one of Florida's first major tourist designations.
In 1887 Jacksonville annexed several surrounding suburbs.
La Villa is a historic neighborhood located immediately west of Downtown.
Jacksonville's first suburb, it was originally an independent city until it was annexed in 1887 along with several other suburbs.
The land that became the town was largely drawn from two land grants from 1816, during Florida's Second Spanish Period: one to Maria Taylor, née Suarez, and one to Juan Le Maestre.
By 1821 a small community had grown there, and local residents plotted out the streets for a town, which they soon named "Jacksonville" after Andrew Jackson.
These districts partially correspond to the vernacular areas.
The latter three communities, all located on a coastal barrier island, form part of the area known as the Jacksonville Beaches, together with Mayport within the Jacksonville city limits and Ponte Vedra Beach in St. Jacksonville consolidated with Duval County in 1968; as such its city limits largely match the county borders.
In the 1980s began an urban renewal campaign that continues today.
Brooklyn is located south of La Villa along the St.
Nearly all of downtown burned in the Great Fire of 1901; however a significant building boom followed immediately after.
The Downtown Core, also known as the Northbank, is Jacksonville's traditional city center.
Union troops were based in the area during the American Civil War.